Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Carrot Cake

My Mom requested that I post the recipe for the altered carrot cake cupcakes I made on Easter. They were made with 100% whole wheat flour, and no sugar - just applesauce and agave nectar.

3 cups packed shredded carrots
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 cups finely ground (pastry style) soft white wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raw amber agave nectar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
5 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup golden raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tins with cupcake papers. (this recipe made 36)
2. Combine carrots and lemon juice in a bowl, set aside.
3. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together. Beat in agave nectar and applesauce until blended. Mix in carrots. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla, walnuts, and raisins. Pour in to muffin tins.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and move cupcakes to wire cooling rack.
They are really more like carrot muffins, and would probably be great for breakfast with a smoothie. I think if I were to experiment again I might throw in 1/2 cup yogurt for a finer texture and more moisture. I did frost them with cream cheese frosting which I made by beating together 16 ounces of cream cheese and 2/3 cups agave nectar.
The little bird nests are not at all healthy! I made them by melting 6 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 package of large marshmallows, and stirring in about 3 cups of toasted coconut. When it was all still warm I molded it into the little nest shapes and filled with jelly beans.

4 comments:

Sallybee said...

These are 100% yummy! I have been having one for breakfast with my oatmeal in the morning. mmmmm.....(I actually squish it like a muffin right in my oatmeal for a delicious breakfast cereal)No, I do not eat the nest - although they are very tasty. Thanks for the wonderful treat.

Linda said...

This looks absolutely wonderful! Thanks for sharing...

suzanne said...

Thank you so much . I love love carrot cake. So this alternative is a must on the baking list..

Warm regards
Suzanne

TCallihan said...

These look and sound delightful! I don't think I can substitute that many eggs. Maybe I can make a different one for Lyd and this recipe for us. Thanks for sharing!